Sunday, March 11, 2012

Signing Off, For Now


Years ago, I did what the Jesuits call a 19th annotation or a Retreat in Daily Life. That involved a 30 minute prayer period every day and monthly consultations with a spiritual director.

The trickiest part of the 19th annotation was finding time and space to pray.

I'd often pray at night in our small condo unit when my wife was asleep. But sometimes she'd wake up and (maybe because she was pregnant then) I had to attend to her. My spiritual director said it was absolutely right to attend to my wife during those moments and interrupt prayer.

I find myself in a similar situation now. Doing these daily posts takes time. Sometimes I know what to write after taking one look at the readings. At other times, it's a struggle. I have to go through the passages several times. I have to look at bible notes or search the internet (including Wikipedia!) for inspiration. This season of Lent has been particularly difficult readings-wise.

And it's time I need for other things like dissertation (the tragedy being that I'm more consistent here on Readings for the Day than in dissertation. Maybe this time around, "the wife" is the dissertation). I also need time to rest and release myself from dealing with one more daily expectation.

So last night, I decided it's time to stop posting readings for the day until such time as conditions are right again. I was hoping to finish all three mass cycles but I guess I'll have to defer that ambition.

Thanks to all the faithful readers and it's amazing that I see that there are consistent readers from Russia (!), the U.S., and of course, the Philippines.

I don't know when I'll be back but you can subscribe to the blog by email. There's a subscription button to the right and that could be a way to alert you to new posts.

It's been fun while it lasted, especially those moments when I'd reflect on eschatology, Saul, and John the Baptist. Maybe the message is, that's enough for now. I've learned what I've needed to learn at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment